[Techtalk] gdm problem

Rebecca J. Walter rjp at mail.tele.dk
Mon Aug 26 16:54:59 EST 2002

A couple silly questions.

1) Are you sure you installed an appropriate WM for GNOME2?  You either
want Sawfish2 or Metacity (I recommend metacity, but it isn't available
in a fully stable release yet that I know of).

2) Can you start a GNOME2 session with startx?  It is probably startx
/usr/X11/bin/something.  I am not sure what something is.  I am using
SuSE so the way I start it may not be applicable to your system
configuration.  You may have a different path. But find one.  It might
be gnome2, it might be something different.

If you can't get it up and running right with startx, you found the
problem.  If you can get it up and running right with startx... uhm...
you have to make the correct GDM session some how.  GDM sessions confuse
me.  There ought to be help on this somewhere.  It may also be that you
can copy the old gnome session and just modify it slightly.