[Techtalk] gdm problem

/dev/null dev_null at iriXx.org
Mon Aug 26 16:02:42 EST 2002

On Monday 26 August 2002 15:46, Liz Young wrote:

> Hey, that's still not finding the WM :-(.

yeah... weird, and the permissions in the gdm folder are back to 644 after
shutting down last night....

> > strangely, all of the entries in /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions are still
> > chmod 755, so thats stayed okay this time... it just doesnt seem to
> > be starting gnome properly...
> >
> > any ideas?
>
> Do you have a .gnome directory in ~?  Is there a default.wm in there?

yes, i have a .gnome and a .gnome2 - although 'gnome-session' now runs gnome2
because i uninstalled all of gnome 1.4 - i wonder if i should remove .gnome
and just leave .gnome2...

in .gnome there is a default.wm which says Sawfish
maybe i should try copying it to .gnome2 - which has no default.wm

> I'd really like to know when this resolves, I'm thinking about updating
> a RH 7.3 box here for testing.

sure, well, im sure we'll get through it eventually... (and hey, i'm learning
lots about window managers from this!)...
i'm relieved at least that gnome2 runs okay when launched from a terminal -
its so lovely, well worth the update...

thanks heaps again for your help,

miriam
--
iriXx
www.iriXx.org

cat /dev/sda1 > /dev/dsp

copyleft: creativity, technology and freedom?
info at copyleftmedia.org.uk
www.copyleftmedia.org.uk