[Techtalk] Start again

Beth Johnson linux.chick at verizon.net
Sat Aug 24 08:00:26 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 03:18, Andrew wrote:

> drive and was able to boot from the CD and write to the drive (with
> the PCI card hanging out) and then... and thennn, it would not boot
> from the new 5th hard drive.

Yikes.  My Mr. has a PCI IDE card in his box and what a headache it was
when he was trying to put top level directories on it.  I'd suggest
putting anything you want to boot on the system board's IDE bus.

Is the PCI board's BIOS coming up?

Is your main board's BIOS set up to search in the  proper order?  CDROM,
HD0, etc?  In my experience, sometimes BIOSes are a little flaky about
searching for bootable stuff and you need to specify only the device you
want to boot from.

Easy stuff I know, but at 3am with your computer's entrails hanging out
nothing's easy!

regards,
Beth
--