[Techtalk] Simply Hardware 3a

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Mon Aug 19 08:41:00 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 06:21, Andrew wrote:

> So Far, I switched Keyboards, that worked to get me into the BIOS!!!!
> ( As a long time Macintosh user "delete" is the "back space" key.
> There-in lies some confusion.)

Excellent.
I'm ignoring the raid stuff, someone who knows raid can help with that.

> 	Next on/in setting up the bios I set CD-ROM as primary..no
> joy yet,,, even switched Mandrake boot CD to CDRW, no difference.

Um. Yes, but where did you put it in the bot sequence?

Setting it as primary/secondary on the IDE is irrelevent to the boot
sequence. (It can matter for them being detected, yes, but not for
booting from them.)

> 	I left the Motherboard, Primary, for the CD-ROM (Master) &
> (Slave) CDRW. They are jumpered correctly and are now recognized by
> biosŠ a step in the right direction!

Excellent.

Fiddling with the hardware at this point (now that they're detected),
won't do a damn thing for booting. Now we get into the bios, look for
the question about 'what devices do we boot off' (sometimes called 'boot
sequence', sometimes called other things it's too damn early in the
morning for me to remember), and ensure that one or both CD drives are
there and are BEFORE it tries to boot off the hard drives.

Jenn V.

jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/