[Techtalk] sonypid/spicctrl

caitlynmaire at earthlink.net caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 18 18:10:24 EST 2002

Hi, Conni

>  I thought I'd ask here,
> because maybe other people would have this problem, or have insight as
> well.  (I have RedHat 7.2, kernel 2.4.7-10.)

You really need to upgrade that kernel.  There are known (and nasty)
vulnerabilities in the kernel that shipped with RH 7.2.  Grab an updated
rpm at ftp://updates.redhat.com

> First problem:  I can't figure out how to get the files unzipped.
> They're.bz2, and gunzip nor unzip won't work.

Install the bzip2 package that came with RH 7.2.

> Second problem:  I am not very technically inclined.  How do I find
> out what minor device my system will use?

Since I don't have a Vaio I can't answer that one.

> How do I use modprobe?  (would that
> just be 'modprobe sonypi on'?)

Drop the "on" and you'll have it right assuming the module is called
sonypi.  However, you'll likely have to recompile your kernel to
recognize that module.  If you need step by step instructions on how to
do that I do have them.  It takes a little time to do.

>  I'm also inclined to install it as a
> module, but I can't figure out whether I have the right files already
> or whether I have to find them.

I'm trying to understand what the question is.  If you bunzip your
patch, wouldn't the files be there?

> I've also had no success getting the jogdial thing working right;
> maybe if I get this sonypi installed right, I'll be able to fix that.

It can work right.  This page was written for Debian, but it does
mention that if you have sonypi installed the jogdial will work.

See:  http://www.alphageeksinc.com/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?VaioSrX77

This site claims everything will work under RH 7.2, but it doesn't go
beyond install.

See: http://paleo.amnh.org/bjburger/installing-vaio.html

> Third issue:  If I want to use the enhanced sonypid.c or the bright.c,
> where do I put them?  (I am not a programmer.  I'm a pharmacy
> student.) Where do I paste the other spiffy functionality things?

That depends on where the software looks for them.  If I had a Vaio I
could be more helpful.  I'm sorry.

> I have, however, gotten divx/aviplay mostly working, thanks to a
> friend who made me nice rpms.  The 'mostly' part is this blue line on
> the side of the video.  Don't know where it's coming from.  Very odd.

There are new divx rpms at ftp.freshrpms.net.  I know the one for 7.3
does not have that problem on a Toshiba or IBM.  No Vaio here.  Again,
sorry.

All the best,
Caity