[Techtalk] kernel upgrade 2.2.13=> 2.4.19 on Mdke...dumb idea?

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Sat Aug 17 21:12:25 EST 2002

On Sat, 2002-08-17 at 20:51, Bobrobaly at wmconnect.com wrote:

> I downloaded 2.4.19 and binutils and read the surface docs, I'm wondering;
> Will this break what I've already got running?
>
> Would a less ambitious upgrade to, say, 2.2.19 or so be safer?

You don't have to lose the old kernel to upgrade to the new one.
Hang on to the old kernel, and mark it in Lilo or Grub as 'old kernel'
or 'kernel version blah'.  Mark the new kernel as 'new kernel' or
'version foo'. Run the new kernel, if it fails just run the old kernel
and re-compile with different parameters or whatever.

This is a common technique, so there should be a HOWTO or guide in the
LDP. http://www.tldp.org/. If you can't find it, let us or the LDP
people know, so a doc can be commissioned or the indexing/naming
improved. :)

Jenn V.

jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/