[Techtalk] file transfer between Windows and Linux

/dev/null dev_null at iriXx.org
Thu Aug 15 10:52:44 EST 2002

i know on windows boxes you can still use parallel cables to link 2
machines... is this possible in gnu/linux ? in which case swipe the cable out
the back of an old printer... (like mine!)....

On Thursday 15 August 2002 02:54, Dave North wrote:
> > I've found the HOWTO about using the serial ports and a
> > null modem cable to transfer files between Windows and
> > Linux.
>
> I can think of two right off the bat; the problem is I haven't done either
> in a loooong time, so they're just 'ideas' rather than complete
> instructions.
> 	However, they both devolve to the same basic idea, and make the
> same assumption: that you have modems in the machines.
> 	You can (a) set up the linux box as a ppp server and log into it
> from the window box, using just a phone cord between the modems.
> 	You can (b) set up either box (depending on preference) as a
> "bulletin board" and log in from the other. There used to be very easily
> configurable packages for either OS, depending on your familiarity and
> bias.
> 	If no modems, well, garsh!

iriXx
www.iriXx.org

cat /dev/sda1 > /dev/dsp

copyleft: creativity, technology and freedom?
info at copyleftmedia.org.uk
www.copyleftmedia.org.uk