[Techtalk] Website Building Program For Dummies (me)

Sophie sophie at cats.meow.at
Wed Aug 14 23:05:18 EST 2002

On Wed, Aug/14/02 11:43:48AM -0700, Dave North wrote:
> Mia:
> > IMHO, The Gimp just isn't ready to replace Photoshop (or the
> > Photoshop/Imageready combination).

I use gimp exclusivley, and have no experience with Photoshop (I dont have a Windows or Mac system, so I dont see it as an option). I'm curious to see how it compares, just out of curiosity, from the "other" perspective... especially as anti-unix zealots often drag me into conversations comparing applications, which is not really where my intrests lie (sigh).

> > I test it every once in a while to see
> > if it can optimise web graphics as well as Photoshop
>
> ...but here's an issue I don't understand! Can you unpack what you mean by
> 'optimize?' I mean...

Yes, please... usage issues aside, how does the output of the files compare? I havent examined them closley enough to know... I'm all ears :)

> > but it's still not at a stage where I'd use it for production stuff.

I thought it was - just my personal opinion. It seems to be somewhat of a flagship program.

- sophie