[Techtalk] 802.11b Again not "2"

Raven Alder raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Tue Aug 13 00:16:42 EST 2002

Heya --

Quoth Andrew (Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 08:36:30PM -0400):
> 	In my attempt to start a wireless network, I have got this
> far...This is a P150 minitower desktop. The only hardware available
> was a PCI slot, a PCI to PCMCIA adapter and a Intel 2011 PCMCIA card.
>
> I have got this far...Using HardDrake;
>
> 	Just found "bus type"-PCMCIA... good so far.
> Now It seems to need a driver??
>
> ****Info: "This device hasen't been identified by HardDrake, please
> send '/proc/bus/*' files and to this device ID '00890001' to:
> harddrake at mandrakesoft.com"***
>
> 	Any hints ? What does it need? and where to get it?

	The Intel 2011 wireless card should be supported under Linux --
http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS says you can use
the orinoco_cs driver.  I can't speak for HardDrake; it looks like they
just may not have that built in to their autodetect yet.  As I believe
someone else suggested, you may have to load the module yourself.  I
don't know any way to do that in GUI; I'm mostly a command-line girl.
(My Xwindows is xfce, Opera, a pretty background, and about 20 rxvt
windows.)  Someone more familiar with the Mandrake tool set may be able
to suggest a utility if there is one.

	I'm all for sending the requested information to the Mandrake
tech folks, though.  It will help them improve HardDrake.  There are a
lot of files in nested directories there; the easiest thing to do is
probably to just make a tarball of the directory and send that in
e-mail.  (AFAIK that should work fine with /proc/bus, but the /proc
filesystem is weird, so please post if it doesn't for some reason.)

Cheers,
Raven

"Dream on, my dear/ And renounce temporal obligation.
 Dream on, my dear/ It's a sleep from which you may not awaken."
  -- Dead Can Dance, "The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove"