[Techtalk] "I need to use Windows because ..."

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Sun Aug 11 13:57:33 EST 2002

At 8/11/02 11:06 AM , caitlynmaire at earthlink.net wrote:
> > 4)Home Site.  I have learned to get used to the auto-completion for
> > the tags as I type them and that really speeds me up.
>
>The closest things are Bluefish and Quanta Plus.  No autocompletion of
>tags (at least not yet), but a single click on an icon can produce the
>complete tags.

Can it do it from a keystroke instead of a mouse click? I'm a real keyboard
kind of guy.

While we're at it, can you edit which keystrokes insert which tags? And
will it insert the tag around already-selected text?

In general, keystroke shortcut support is what I really want out of
anything I'm working with. (Okay, image-editing programs are an exception.
With those, I *know* the mouse will be needed.) But, on my Windows desktop,
I'm *constantly* using keystroke shortcuts, and making good use of the fact
that many of them are stable from one application to another. For example,
Alt-F4 will exit any application. Ctrl-F4 will close the active
document/window in any application. Ctrl-Tab will cycle through active
windows in an app, or through tabs in a dialog box. Shift-F10 will open the
context menu for whatever item is currently highlighted. Ctrl-Esc pulls up
the "Start" menu. Alt-Spacebar gives me a system menu on any application,
and Alt-hyphen gives me the system menu on a window within an app. (And
those, in turn, give the ability to resize, move, maximize or minimize apps
and windows. So, if I want to minimize an app, all I need to do is type
Alt-Spacebar, n -- presto!)

I'll admit, I haven't spent much time working with any Linux windowing
system. And I know that there are editable keymaps for them. But do they
include the ability to assign keys for events like the ones I've listed above?

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"You wear guilt/Like shackles on your feet;
  Like a halo in reverse..."
                                                 --Depeche Mode,
                                                  "Halo"