[Techtalk] "I need to use Windows because ..."

caitlynmaire at earthlink.net caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 11 14:06:44 EST 2002

Hi, Scott,

If it doesn't exits, start one.  Check out http://www.smartgroups.com or
http://www.topica.com  Both are free.

> 3)A good multi-threaded FTP program.  gFTP crashes when I am trying to
> transfer gigs of data from the BSD boxes to the new Linux boxes.

axyftp

> 4)Home Site.  I have learned to get used to the auto-completion for
> the tags as I type them and that really speeds me up.

The closest things are Bluefish and Quanta Plus.  No autocompletion of
tags (at least not yet), but a single click on an icon can produce the
complete tags.

> Sounds like a lame list, but whenever I am against the clock for a
> client I turn on the Windows machine and bang out what I need to do.

For me it's the opposite.  I've become so *nix oriented that Windows
always takes longer for me.

> Another question......what distro are most of you using?

Red Hat  7.3 or 8.0 (beta)  Put simply:  things work.  OK, the menus
aren't handled as nicely across various WMs like they are in Mandrake,
but that's trivial.  Mandrake always ships with broken bits.  Red Hat
hasn't since 7.0.

All the best,
Caity