WINE (was Re: [Techtalk] "I need to use Windows because ...")

Beth Johnson linux.chick at verizon.net
Sun Aug 11 09:27:15 EST 2002

There are so many versions of WINE out there now, it's getting a bit
confusing.  WineX for gaming, Crossover Office, Crossover Plugin, the
core project.  The original WINE is the only one I can find that you can
try out for free, WineX requires a subscription for anything but the
cvs, and Crossover a purchase.  So one can't try out the specialized
versions without forking out cash up front (although Codeweavers has a
money back guarantee).

My Mr. needs financial software comparable to MS Money and his heartrate
monitor/running program working under Linux to be able to switch from
WinXP.  One of our kids has sacrificed his computer for me to be able to
test out WINE installs, but like I said I can only try out the cvs
version of WineX.

sigh.
Beth
--