[Techtalk] Four speaker support with Soundblaster cards

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Fri Aug 2 08:51:11 EST 2002

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 09:56:15AM +0100, /dev/null wrote:
> i think you might need to be running ALSA to get this to work - ALSA
> will allow multiple instances of sound (and mixers) to run, whereas
> OSS/Free wont....

That's not quite the scenario we were after. The machine in question has
one soundcard with four speakers attached (i.e. there are two audio
outs). It works nicely under Windows, I've been told, but under Linux
only the first pair receives any sound.

Multiple sound cards is something I have working in the past ... that is
easier.  :-)

Malcolm