[Techtalk] Four speaker support with Soundblaster cards

/dev/null dev_null at iriXx.org
Thu Aug 1 09:56:15 EST 2002

hi,

i think you might need to be running ALSA to get this to work - ALSA
will allow multiple instances of sound (and mixers) to run, whereas
OSS/Free wont....

although i've managed to get both my Turtle Beach Pinnacle and AWE64
running at the same time, i've never tried sending them to 4 speakers (i
just send them to my hardware mixer)...

the problem you might experience is latency between the two cards. a
friend of mine was experimenting around trying to hard-wire a series of
Soundblasters together to get 8 channels, but never had the time to try
- the archives of the discussion are at the linux-audio-dev mailing list
(www.linuxdj.org)

hope that helps,

miriam

Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> Asking this for a friend:
>
> Has anybody had any success getting four speakers (that is, two pairs)
> to work with a Soundblaster Live Value card under Linux? Some exploring
> on Google (in particular, Google groups) has not really turned up much
> and I am at a bit of a loss to know where else to look.
>
> The sort of thing she is wanting to do is that when an mp3 plays, the
> sound should go to both sets of speakers. Currently (with the emu10k1
> driver) it only goes to the first set. Also, from some random poking
> around we just did, the standard audio mixer applications all just seem
> to have one set of volume controls, so I am not sure if there is meant
> to be independent control. Does anybody have any experience with too
> many speakers on their system? :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Malcolm

iriXx
www.iriXx.org

copyleft: creativity, technology and freedom?
info at copyleftmedia.org.uk
www.copyleftmedia.org.uk

  _
( )  ascii ribbon against html email
/ \    cat /dev/sda1 > /dev/dsp

"I'd rather listen to Newton than to Mundie.
He may have been dead for almost three hundred years,
but despite that he stinks up the room less."
	- Linus Torvalds