[Techtalk] Four speaker support with Soundblaster cards

/dev/null dev_null at iriXx.org
Thu Aug 1 23:55:57 EST 2002

ahhh, i see...

still, i'd give the ALSA drivers a try - they are more likely to have
implemented support for the SBLive surround stuff than the OSS drivers...

bw
miriam

Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 09:56:15AM +0100, /dev/null wrote:
>
>>i think you might need to be running ALSA to get this to work - ALSA
>>will allow multiple instances of sound (and mixers) to run, whereas
>>OSS/Free wont....
>

> That's not quite the scenario we were after. The machine in question has
> one soundcard with four speakers attached (i.e. there are two audio
> outs). It works nicely under Windows, I've been told, but under Linux
> only the first pair receives any sound.
>
> Multiple sound cards is something I have working in the past ... that is
> easier.  :-)
>
> Malcolm

iriXx
www.iriXx.org

copyleft: creativity, technology and freedom?
info at copyleftmedia.org.uk
www.copyleftmedia.org.uk

  _
( )  ascii ribbon against html email
/ \    cat /dev/sda1 > /dev/dsp

"I'd rather listen to Newton than to Mundie.
He may have been dead for almost three hundred years,
but despite that he stinks up the room less."
	- Linus Torvalds