[Techtalk] KPP Problem

kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net
Mon Apr 29 18:49:56 EST 2002

Well let's please re-visit the problem. The problem is not connecting to
the net and after dialing it disconnects saying something like this:

Apr 27 14:49:35 localhost last message repeated 133 times
Apr 27 14:49:36 localhost pppd[2262]: Terminating on signal 15.
Apr 27 14:49:36 localhost pppd[2262]: Exit.
Apr 27 14:50:50 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module ppp0
Apr 27 14:50:51 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module ppp0
Apr 27 14:50:51 localhost pppd[8979]: pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
Apr 27 14:50:51 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module ppp0
Apr 27 14:51:12 localhost last message repeated 173 times
Apr 27 14:51:12 localhost pppd[8979]: Terminating on signal 15.
Apr 27 14:51:12 localhost pppd[8979]: Exit.

I have tried thru' wvdial, kppp, gnome dialer but the problem is the same.
The steps that I have taken are the following:

* found no entry call /dev/modem

*I tried to increase the time out for pppd to 60 seconds

* chmod u+s /etc/sbin/pppd

  *removed the only word from the /etc/ppp/option file, the word was 'lock'

*have also chmod 755 /etc/ppp/options file

* chmod 666 /dev/ttys*

* crwxr-xr-x to 5 entries in /dev/ppp*

Have also checked if they exist:

>./kernel/drivers/net/ppp_deflate.o
>./kernel/drivers/net/ppp_async.o
>./kernel/drivers/net/ppp_generic.o
>./kernel/drivers/net/ppp_synctty.o
>./kernel/drivers/net/wan/syncppp.o

I have also tried manual log in. After giving the user name and password it
logs on to the network and sends garbage and then disconnect saying that
same message: modprobe: Can't locate module ppp0

Everything is running in Kernel 2.4.7 and as root.

Any help on how to solve it would be much appreciated.