[Techtalk] KPP Problem

Pierre Fortin pfortin at pfortin.com
Sun Apr 28 09:06:18 EST 2002

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002 15:04:58 +0600 "kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net"
<kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net> wrote:

> Hi everyone:
>
> I'm facing this problem in my freshly installed RHL 7.2. While dialing
> in kppp it says:
>
> "time out expired while waiting for the ppp interface to come up" and it
>
> hang out while in the 'waiting to connect' mode.
>
> I tried to increase the time out for pppd to 60 seconds, chmod u+s
> /etc/sbin/pppd, and removed the only word from the /etc/ppp/option file,
>
> the word was 'lock'. I have also cmhod 755 /etc/ppp/options file.
>
> Here's my /var/log/messages
>
> Apr 27 14:49:35 localhost last message repeated 133 times

What is the message before this one?

> Apr 27 14:49:36 localhost pppd[2262]: Terminating on signal 15.

>From man pppd:
       15     The  link  was  terminated  because the peer is not
              responding to echo requests.

Did the modem actually dial out and login properly?  I'm assuming it did.

If you're using kppp, turn on debugging when asked (or add "debug" to
/etc/ppp/options if you're trying to connect with "pppd &")

If you have minicom installed, try going through the steps manually.  When
the login is complete, do you get gibberish?  If not, try entering
"ppp"...  if you now get gibberish, then your ISP's terminal server needs
to be told to go into ppp mode.

Let us know the answer to these questions and we can focus on the next
steps.

Pierre