[Techtalk] KPP Problem

Akkana akkana at shallowsky.com
Sat Apr 27 12:46:36 EST 2002

kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net wrote:
> > I'm facing this problem in my freshly installed RHL 7.2. While
> > dialing in
> > kppp it says:
> >
> > "time out expired while waiting for the ppp interface to come up"
> > and it
> > hang out while in the 'waiting to connect' mode.
[ ... ]

Poppy Casper writes:
> I had a similar problem with Gnomeppp when I set up my box... I wound up
> switching to wvdial, but in so doing, discovered that my problem was
> that my user didn't have permission to both pppd and /dev/modem...

Redhat unfortunately isn't very modem-friendly.  I got tired of always
having to rediscover how to set up the modem every time I installed
a new Redhat version, so I wrote a page on it to remind myself:

   http://shallowsky.com/linux-modem.html

I don't know how well this applies to Redhat 7.2 -- my 7.2 box is on
DSL and doesn't have a modem installed -- but it might be useful.
(Do keep us posted when you figure this out -- if 7.2 needs extra
work to get PPP going, I'll put those instructions on the page too.)

However, from your kernel message, it sounds like you need a ppp
module in the kernel.  Are you using the standard Redhat kernel, or
did you compile your own?  I looked for ppp kernel modules installed
in the redhat kernel on my 7.2 machine:
(imbrium)- cd /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/
(imbrium)- find . -name "*ppp*"
./kernel/drivers/net/ppp_deflate.o
./kernel/drivers/net/ppp_async.o
./kernel/drivers/net/ppp_generic.o
./kernel/drivers/net/ppp_synctty.o
./kernel/drivers/net/wan/syncppp.o
(I don't think syncppp is needed; at least, my 7.1 laptop, where PPP
works, doesn't have that module.)

If you don't have the four ppp_* modules, you may need to reinstall the
kernel (or rebuild your kernel with PPP configured, if you're running
a custom one).

It would be useful to see whether modprobe gives any errors if you run it
manually (as root).  I'm not sure what argument to give to modprobe as the
"main PPP module" (anyone know?) but you could try loading all of these:
  modprobe ppp_deflate ppp_async ppp_generic ppp_synctty
and see if it prints any errors.

Do you have /dev/ppp?  Is it readable/writable by you?  (ls -l /dev/ppp*)

	...Akkana