[Techtalk] Backup solutions

Davis, Jennifer JDavis at JUSTICE.GC.CA
Thu Apr 25 09:47:32 EST 2002

If I could add to that, I was wondering what directories need to be backed
up?  My PC was stolen a couple of months ago and with it my cd burner. I
just haven't had the resources to put a burner on the new machine (and I
find I can live without the device).  What I would like to do is just backup
the directories that require a backup.  I am assuming they are:

/home/
/usr/local/
/var/spool/
/var/www/
/etc/rc.d/
/usr/src/linux/.config

(at least for my distro (Slackware 8.0)

What I was thinking of doing was a cron job to put these into a tgz file and
keep as many of these files as the backup computer will hold.  The only
thing I have not figured out is how do I stop the tar program from following
the links, ie from my home directory to the /var/www/htdocs directory and
how to give each tgz file a unique name, like the date.

Jenn