[Techtalk] Backup solutions

hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Apr 25 14:44:10 EST 2002

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 09:19:46AM -0400 or thereabouts, James wrote:
> Anyone know of any easy tape backup solutions for Linux?  Preferably one
> that I won't have to mortgage my kidneys to get.
>
> It is for a mail server, if that means anything :)
>
> Also, what kind of backup policy does your organization (or you
> yourself) have?

I have a tape drive and do backups on my machine onto tape. When
I mentioned this in my journal, I was deluged with suggestions and
comments on this and on products that would (allegedly :)) help.
I can try to summarise (later: busy atm :)) if that will help.
Only caveat is that this is a home machine, not an "organisation",
if that makes a difference.

I actually do it by "shit, haven't done it for a while", throwing a
tape in the drive, and doing the lot with tar, thinking "must remember
to sort this incremental backup thing out" :)

Telsa