[Techtalk] logging output from dump

Jen B jenb at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Apr 25 13:15:06 EST 2002

hopefully this is a quickie...

I'm running my backup using dump from cron and rather than
having STDOUT mailed to root as I currently do, I would like to
have it write to a log.  I thought the following command
would do it:

/sbin/dump 0 -f /dev/st0 /mybackupdir | tee -a /var/log/backuplog

the log file is created, but contains nothing. Shouldn't
this do the trick? Any other equally concise suggestions?

I can whip up a script to do this without a problem.
I was just wondering if "tee" didn't work with cron jobs
or something weird like that.

thanks!

Jen

jenb at sdf.lonestar.org