[Techtalk] Backup solutions

Soon-Yee Vidrio wildgrass at postone.com
Thu Apr 25 12:27:55 EST 2002

At 09:19 AM 4/25/02 -0400, James wrote:
>Anyone know of any easy tape backup solutions for Linux?  Preferably one
>that I won't have to mortgage my kidneys to get.
>
>It is for a mail server, if that means anything :)
>
>Also, what kind of backup policy does your organization (or you
>yourself) have?
>
>- James

I have good experiences so far with taper, which is free. It cannot span
more than one tape, so if your backup exceeds one tape this solution will
not work for you.  I have had success doing disaster recovery of an entire
server  to another linux machine with taper before, whereas trying to do
the same with Veritas Backup Exec(which costs $$$) using its unix agent
failed miserably.

wildgrass