[Techtalk] Server Suggestions

James james at james-web.net
Thu Apr 11 10:11:38 EST 2002

Fun stuff :)  I get to spend money I wish I had!

I'm building a rather large project in PHP and MySQL.  It needs to
support approximately 10-75 near simultaneous users and a total amount
of 750 or so users.  The project includes webmail, a trouble ticket
tracking system, a scheduling system, a .plan-sort of system and a
document uploader.

I'd want to distribute as much of the data around, to avoid one point of
failure, so I was thinking separate Apache (web), SQL (db), NFS (doc
storage) and IMAP/SMTP servers (mail).  The NFS server would also have a
CDR or tape drive to act as a backup system for the rest, making a
tarball of the web files, user emails and an sql dump either weekly or
nightly.

Any ideas on suggested server specs for such (proc, RAM, HD space, RAID
config)?  Or on the flipside, do you think I'm going overboard and
letting my technolust get ahead of what the circumstances call for?

Any real life experience or linkage with setting such up would be much
appreciated.

- James