[Techtalk] Trouble building the latest Mozilla

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu Apr 11 12:31:15 EST 2002

At 10:10 AM 11/04/02 -0500, Stuart Rogers wrote:
>gmake export && gmake install
>gmake[1]: Entering directory
>`/home/srogers/source/linux/extras/Mozilla/mozilla'
>gmake[2]: Entering directory
>`/home/srogers/source/linux/extras/Mozilla/mozilla/config'
>/usr/bin/perl -I. ./bdate.pl build_number
>../config/nsinstall -R -m 444 nsBuildID.h ../dist/include
>/usr/bin/perl -I/opt/mozilla//config /opt/mozilla//config/build-list.pl
>../dist/include/.headerlist nsBuildID.h
>Can't open perl script "/opt/mozilla//config/build-list.pl": No such file
>or directory
>
>I'm not sure what the problem is, but being relatively new to Linux, could
>it in the path: /opt/mozilla//config?  It looks like there are two slashes
>instead of one. If ayone can point me in the right direction I would
>appreciate it!

The double slashes shouldn't make a difference (I can't think of any
program I've seen that can't deal with them).  It *may* imply that there's
a variable not getting set, and it actually should be
/opt/mozilla/SOMETHING/config/.  More likely, it's nothing to be worried
about and the extra / was put in just in case by whatever's making the paths.

I'd suggest that first you find out where build-list.pl actually is (try
"locate build-list.pl" and figure out which one, if you get more than one
result, is the right one).  Apparently, it's not in /opt/mozilla/config/

Once you've found that, see if you can figure out what needs to be changed
so that the mozilla build scripts are looking for build-list.pl in the
*right* place.  Probably, this will mean editing the Makefile and changing
a variable near the beginning which contains path information.  My guess is
that it defaults to /opt/mozilla for building, but you're actually building
from /home/srogers/source/linux/extras/Mozilla/, so you should replace the
variable which is set to /opt/mozilla to the path you're actually using.
(using configure, this is probably ./configure
--prefix=/home/srogers/source/linux/extras/Mozilla, but editing Makefile
after you've done the configure is also valid.)

Hope that helps!

  Terri