[Techtalk] cisco 3500XL switch

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Mon Apr 8 20:08:49 EST 2002

Hello.

Sorry if I'm being annoying with all my questions, but I have run into a spot of bother with a switch.

The scenario is this: There is a piece of equipment (a laser) that is plugged into ethernet port 0/3. This laser is controlled by a computer that is sitting on eth0/5. (This port 0/5 has been secured so that the only mac address allowed on this port is that belonging to the pc)

What is needed is to set it up so that port 0/3(the laser) will only accept traffic from port0/5 (the pc).

My CCNA book has this nice little command listed called mac-address-table restricted static, where in I can say "mac-address-table restricted static 1111.1111.1111 e0/3 e0/5" which appears to do the job perfectly!!

However, while looking through the 3500XL online doco, this command "restricted static" isnt listed!!

Can someone point me in the right direction to some sort of substitute or equivalent command?

I realise it might also be tempting to suggest other manners for creating the restricted access to the laser, but for reasons too long and boring to go into here, access at the switch is pretty much the only option.

Thank you very much!!

Helen