[Techtalk] cisco router to linux laptop

Jen B jenb at sdf.lonestar.org
Mon Apr 8 14:31:01 EST 2002

As posted a few weeks ago and filed away in my "helpful" folder:

<repost>

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 17:29:14 -0800
From: Liz Young <liz at kandew.net>
To: techtalk at linuxchix.org
Subject: Re: [Techtalk] Minicom to Cisco from Linux?

On Thursday 21 March 2002 04:32 pm, you wrote:
> Heya --
>
>       This is a SuSE 7.2 system, 2.4.10 kernel.  The serial device
> appears to be /dev/ttyS1, but I'm guessing at that.  (I don't know how
> to tell for sure.)  There are no external mice or anything -- internal
> touchpad -- so I don't see any reason why I wouldn't use the first
> serial port.  I tried setting minicom to use /dev/ttyS2, but that didn't
> make a difference.

Try ttyS0(zero) for the first serial port.  I setup minicom for my router
like this:
In Konsole, su to root
type minicom -s
Choose "Serial port setup"
Change which setting?  "A"
Type /dev/ttyS0
Enter, Esc
Choose "Save setup as dfl"
and then Exit

As a user, type "minicom" and you should get your router login.

Hope that's it!

-Liz
Reposting this to the list

</repost>