[Techtalk] Multiple NICs, Bad IRQs?

Julie jockgrrl at austin.rr.com
Tue Sep 11 21:01:40 EST 2001

the sunlover2 wrote:

> Changing IRQ manually can be easy for some NICs: Go to the web site of the
> NIC vendor(s) and find/download the support software. Run it and you will be
> able to do the job. I just did it on my Compaq NIC two weeks ago.
> Good luck!

Nope, didn't cure the problem.  I now have eth0 set to IRQ 10
and I'm still having framing problems.  This is what I get going
to another machine on the same 100BaseTX LAN --

ftp> get mello.avi
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,0,3,152,108)
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for mello.avi (974762 bytes).
226 Transfer complete.
974762 bytes received in 2.95 secs (3.2e+02 Kbytes/sec)
ftp>

And for my efforts, several hundred more receiver errors.  The
other machines in the house all get 2 or 3 MB/s when talking to
each other.  It's just this one interface on this one machine.
I've swapped everything around -- and I mean =everything= --
and nothing makes a difference.  Not the card, the cables, the
in-wall wiring.  If it's eth0 it gets receiver errors ...

-- Julie.