[Techtalk] Internet File Sharing (No, not Napster) again

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Fri Sep 7 18:45:10 EST 2001

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 04:40:49AM -0400 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Kath thought:
> I think my university blocks 137-139 across the network.  Is it possible to
> assign other ports to Samba?
>
> What about NFS over an SSH tunnel or something techie sounding like that? :D

If you have control over the remote linux box (or over its super user!
:-), you could implement port forwarding on its firewall.  Ie.  Have its
firewall redirect incoming requests on say port 21137 to port 137 and on
port 21139 to port 139.  Then all you need is an old 486 running a linux firewall
between your windows box and the university LAN.  That box would translate your
outgoing port 137/139 packets to the chosen set of ports (21137 / 21139) which the
remote box would map back to ports 137 / 139 for samba.  A bit convoluted but
probably effective. Then all you need worry about is your password going out in
plaintext.

Of course, if you were going to add a linux box between your windows box
and the Uni LAN, you could use "rsync -e ssh" to update the remote
machine.

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)
Faenor.cod.ie
  6:41pm  up 84 days, 19:00,  0 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.09, 0.07
Hobbiton.cod.ie
  6:38pm  up  6:08,  1 user,  load average: 0.06, 0.06, 0.02