[Techtalk] Internet File Sharing (No, not Napster) again

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Fri Sep 7 17:52:42 EST 2001

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 02:59:45AM -0400, Kath wrote:
> With a Windows client, would there be anyway to mount a Linux drive
> (specifically one directory) over the internet such that it would be
> like another hard drive and folder (so it would be like you are
> editting a local file, but the changes are done in real time to the
> server) on your machine.
>
> Reason is, I use UltraDev4 and PHPEd for my development and a Linux
> based server.  FTP is rather annoying when deploying changes rapidly,
> plus disconnects and the like.

I've seen the other posts in this thread where it transpires that Samba
is not going to solve your problems.

Another solution might be to look at WebDav (Web based distributed
authoring and versioning -- although the last word is a bit of a lie).
This allows you to essentially drag and drop files via your
MicroSoft-based web browser to your Apache web server on your linux box.

It's not exactly file-sharing, but it is easier than ftp or scp (and
lacks some of the security of the latter). Not ideal, but something you
may not have considered. I have almost no experience with this (a friend
and I set it up once and it mostly worked, but that was it), but it's an
established technology.

Details (including mod_dav for Apache) at http://www.webdav.org/ .

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.