[Techtalk] Internet File Sharing (No, not Napster) again

Paul Hardacre paul.hardacre at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 7 10:22:05 EST 2001

At 09:40 07/09/2001, Kath wrote:

>I think my university blocks 137-139 across the network.  Is it possible to
>assign other ports to Samba?

I'm sure you probably could but you may encounter issues with windows not
actually wanting to connect to anything other than 137 - 139 :/ I think you
can tell smbclient under linux to connect to a different port but I'm not
so sure on windows :(

>What about NFS over an SSH tunnel or something techie sounding like that? :D

I'm not sure what the situation with NFS clients for Windows is.. I know
there was one, PCNFS, but I believe that was a commercial product and
required a rpc.pcnfsd rather than rpc.nfsd. But I could be wrong on that
one.. Might be worth investigating..

Sorry I couldn't be more help on that one :/

Let me know if ya find a good solution cos I could do with one here, I just
chug along with FTP with the small number of updates we get..

Paul