[Techtalk] RH 7.2/KDE

Raven, corporate courtesan raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Mon Oct 29 13:31:48 EST 2001

Heya --

	I haven't run into your Red Hat/KDE problem, but I think I can
help you with Pine.  Regarding the KDE thing, though, what version of
KDE is that?  Maybe you got the unlucky beta or something?  On the other
machines where you have had success with the Red Hat/KDE, was it the
same hardware setup?

Quoth Raven Brooke (Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 11:43:37AM -0500):
> Also, I am currently logging in with a username different from the one my
> ISP uses for my primary email; anyone know how I might configure pine to
> let me choose my "From" identity on outgoing mail? I prefer to use pine
> rather than a gui mail client, as it enables me to check my mail from an
> ssh shell from anywhere.

	From the Main Menu of Pine, hit S for Setup, then C for Config.
That will bring you to the configuration menu -- scroll down until you
see the Customized Headers bit (most of the way towards the bottom) ,
and hit A to Add a Value.  Enter the From address that you want in the
following format:

From: "Your Name" <username at domain.com>

	That's if you want it to always be the same thing.  (You can
also make this change by editing .pinerc directly, and entering the
above line under the "Add these customized headers" part.  So that
section of your .pinerc would look like this:

# Add these customized headers (and possible default values) when
# composing
customized-hdrs=From: "Raven C. Alder" <raven at oneeyedcrow.net>

	You can do the same for Reply-To if you like.

	If you want to use Pine to send mail "from" several different
addresses, you'd probably do well to enable default-composer-hdrs (if
your version of Pine is late enough to include these -- anything after
Pine 4.30 should do).  This is on that same screen of options in the
menu, or in .pinerc.  If that's on, it will allow you to change the
From: line right in the individual message.  If you only ever want to
send mail from one user, though, you're probably better off with the
former solution.

	(And might I recommend Mutt, while we're at it?  Same
command-line fun, no buffer overflows.)

Cheers,
Raven (the other Raven)

"But you will be there."
"Briefly."
"As a pumpkin."
  -- Danielle, Jalen, and RavenBlack, on making token appearances