[Techtalk] kernel upgrades

Jeff Dike jdike at karaya.com
Thu Oct 11 14:32:26 EST 2001

jomann22 at zonnet.nl said:
> This is something I would like to know myself.

The memtest86 option runs memtest86, which is a stand-alone, runs on the
bare hardware, memory tester.  It's useful if you start getting strange
crashes and hangs and suspect that you have bad memory.

You can see the difference between your suse and linux options by looking
at their entries in /etc/lilo.conf.  A guess would be that suse might be a
fairly generic kernel off the SuSE media, and linux is a customized kernel
built later in the install, when it has had a chance to look at your hardware.

				Jeff