[Techtalk] Re: and so it begins

Mandi mandi at linuxchick.org
Wed Nov 7 01:11:08 EST 2001

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Mary Gardiner wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 08:32:36PM -0500, Amanda C. Clift wrote:
> > Okay, thanks to everyone's help, I have installed Apache and it seems to
> > be happily configured too!
> > Now onto ipaliasing.
> > I'm following the directions on loading the module (Using a shell under
> > Root-)
> >
> > /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r` /ipv4/ip_alias.o
> >
> > When I do this, it says cannot read ELF header from
> > /lib/modules/2.4.8-26mdk
> >
> > What does this mean and how do I rectify this?

In your above example, there is a space between your ` and the /ip...

If that's there on your command line, insmod is looking at the directory
itself, which doesn't have an elf header.

On Mandrake, you should be able to simply insmod ip_alias.o and the
module will be magically found (i think by insmod) and loaded.

If it's a stock 8.1 installation on a uniprocessor system, there is only
one kernel installed, and you could always cd to that directory and insmod
from there as well...

HTH

--mandi