[techtalk] windows sucks

Michelle Murrain mpm at norwottuck.com
Tue May 22 08:36:22 EST 2001

On Monday 21 May 2001 09:44 pm, Daniel Manrique wrote:
<snip>
> That's probably going to be hard to do with a recovery disk; those
> normally assume that you messed the computer up, you're clueless and you
> basically just want it to be the way it was when you bought it. That
> includes eating up the entire hard disk.
<snip>

Yeah, and these days, you can't get a computer with a nice standard
Windows CD-ROM anymore - they only come with rescue CDs! I was astonished
when I bought a laptop about 6 months ago - I bought it to run Linux, so it
wasn't an issue, but at one point I had a strange technical question I needed
to find out whether it was the laptop or a linux compatibility issue, so I
figured I'd do a dual boot for a while to figure it out. Couldn't do it - the
recovery disk did as you said - put it back the way it was when I bought it -
no options available no matter what I did. Luckily, we had a copy of Windows
ME hanging about the office (I still don't know why...)

Sounds like what you need to do is use a partition editor *after* the windows
recovery reinstall, then install linux afterwards, if you have no way to ge a
hold of a windows install disk? That's a pain, if you really want to run
Linux as the major OS.

Michelle
Michelle Murrain, Ph.D.
President