[techtalk] windows sucks

Daniel Manrique roadmr at entropia.com.mx
Mon May 21 20:44:32 EST 2001

> 6gb laptop had windows installed on it .. i wanted linux, so i booted with
> some linux bootdisks, designed a nice partition table, wrote the changes,
> and then i recovered windows with the recovery cd.
>
> however, windows recognizes the 2.2gb partition it is on as the whole 6gb
> hard drive.  any way to get windows to recognize that it doesn't own my
> entire hard drive?

That's probably going to be hard to do with a recovery disk; those
normally assume that you messed the computer up, you're clueless and you
basically just want it to be the way it was when you bought it. That
includes eating up the entire hard disk.

I'd advise use of a partition editor. I can think of three, partition
magic, gnu parted and fips. You have a lot of control with those.
Partition magic is commercial (www.powerquest.com), and gnu parted and
fips are free (http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/ and
http://freshmeat.net/redir/fips/2696/url_tgz/fips20.zip).

REMEMBER TO BACK YOUR INFORMATION UP. i cant stress this point enough :)

	- Roadmaster

*
Save a tree- use E-Mail!			roadmr at entropia.com.mx
*