[techtalk] Mandrake 8.0

Rialian rialian at his.com
Sat May 19 22:20:13 EST 2001

 The installed warns you when you choose any type of
> server like Apache.  It tells that they have tried to make sure there are
> no holes, but the potential does exist.

===Agreed.  I do like how they have Bastille installed as well.  Would
probably have been a good thing if they mentioned that it was there to those
that did not know about it..(ie. new users).

===Apparently, my problems with the CD drive went away when I placed it in a
different machine...and it seems that the problems I had may not be even
Linux or Windows caused.  A few of my friends had similar problems to mine
with the CD rom....and we may have tracked it down to a boot-sector virus
that activates when the CD rom is run on boot....

===Which would explain all the really odd problems, such as my CD rom being
relabeled into gobldygook sludge, that my cd was the "wrong one" when I tried
to do an update on that computer.....etc.

===So what I thought was a weird thing between Mandrake and Windows is not
apparent on this machine....and I am now once again happy with my Mandrake
8.0.

						Rialian