[techtalk] Mandrake 8.0

Scott scott at talon.net
Sat May 19 22:04:27 EST 2001

fyi--

Best Buy has Mandrake 8.0 on the shelf!  $65.00 for the 7cd power pack.
Here is my experience with it so far:

The install took about 20 minutes.  Very clean and very friendly.  They
did change the pick and choose software option somewhat, my verdict is
still out on the change.  They have bunched everything under workstation,
then Servers, etc.  The installed warns you when you choose any type of
server like Apache.  It tells that they have tried to make sure there are
no holes, but the potential does exist.

Upon reboot I had no network, but fired up the Mandrake wizard to discover
it said I had two 3 Com cards.  Then I started getting errors on the
screen that the network failed.  I grabbed another card and re-installed
with the card and all is well.

One note to Pine fans--it does not install and I could not find it in the
software list on the second install.  I just ran the Mandrake package
manager and found it on the 2nd cd, why it does not install by default is
beyond me.

More to come as I test it the rest of the weekend.

-sap