[techtalk] Win 98 question....

Kriselda Jarnsaxa linux at netpagans.com
Tue May 8 06:22:02 EST 2001

This evening, my hubby and I found ourselves needing to reformat the c drive
on our "other" laptop.  Unfortunately, the laptop doesn't recognize the
DVD-ROM drive and we don't have a "premade" Win98 boot disk at all.  We
tried using the Win98 program from our desktop to make a boot disk, but it
apparently didn't have drivers that let it recognize the DVD-ROM, so we
still couldn't boot the CD or install Windows.

This computer is going to be for my hubby's use, and he's pretty insistant
he wants to use Windows - especially after watching me go through weeks of
installing and reinstalling Linux to see if I can ever get my monitor to
stop freezing.  So Linux isn't an option for him.

I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know of anywhere I could get a copy of a Win98 boot disk that
would allow the computer to recognize the DVD-ROM?  I CANNOT contact the
manufacturer as they have gone out of business.

2) Failing that, IF I can get Linux installed on the box (since I know I can
find boot disks for it *g*), can I, under Wine or Win4Lin use it as a base
to launch the Windows98 startup from?I would obviously be installing it on a
separate partition, but would such a gambit work?

If anyone has any other suggestions, I would be most grateful - I'm at a
complete loss, here...

Thanks!

Kriselda