[techtalk] Win 98 question....

James Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Tue May 8 13:06:33 EST 2001

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Kriselda Jarnsaxa wrote:

> This evening, my hubby and I found ourselves needing to reformat the c drive
> on our "other" laptop.  Unfortunately, the laptop doesn't recognize the
> DVD-ROM drive and we don't have a "premade" Win98 boot disk at all.  We
> tried using the Win98 program from our desktop to make a boot disk, but it
> apparently didn't have drivers that let it recognize the DVD-ROM, so we
> still couldn't boot the CD or install Windows.

Hrm? The "generic ATAPI" driver on that floppy SHOULD work, provided it's
an ATAPI drive... what make is it?

> 1) Does anyone know of anywhere I could get a copy of a Win98 boot disk that
> would allow the computer to recognize the DVD-ROM?  I CANNOT contact the
> manufacturer as they have gone out of business.

The manufacturer of the laptop or the DVD drive?

> 2) Failing that, IF I can get Linux installed on the box (since I know I can
> find boot disks for it *g*), can I, under Wine or Win4Lin use it as a base
> to launch the Windows98 startup from?I would obviously be installing it on a
> separate partition, but would such a gambit work?

Wine? No, it only lets you run Windows applications (Setup doesn't count).
Running his Windows software using Win4Lin or VMWare might be a good
option, though?

> If anyone has any other suggestions, I would be most grateful - I'm at a
> complete loss, here...

Linux+VMWare+Win98 sounds like a good option, with the added benefit of
nudging him towards using Linux. Has anyone here tried Win4Lin??

--
"Why isn't the serum working?"
"Perhaps we're asking the wrong questions."

		-- Agents Smith and Brown, "The Matrix"