[techtalk] USB Support?

Subba Rao subba9 at home.com
Fri Mar 23 20:47:42 EST 2001

On  0, Shari <sharifl at pacbell.net> wrote:
> I'm about to begin an installation of Redhat 7.0 on my Dell Laptop (Inspiron 3700).
> I've attempted this before, unsuccessfully with RH 6.0.  Had display problems and
> couldn't get my dsl working.  But I digress.
>
> I've been away from Linux for awhile, and I wouldn't call myself an OS/HW guru by
> any means.  My question is what is the hw support like for USB?  I have a USB CD-RW
> drive, that I can't seem to get running in Win2k.  I haven't seen my model on
> RedHat's HCL site.
>
> Is this an ill-fated exercise?  Is anyone doing this?

I don't know what kernel you have, but the 2.2.18 does have kernel support
in it. You will have to compile a new kernel, enabling the USB support. If you
have a Linux expert near you, ask him/her to help you with the kernel compile.

Linux is never an ill-fated excercise!! Win2K is!!! I had similar experience
with existing HW and Win2k incompatibility.

Good luck with Linux USB.
--

Subba Rao
subba9 at home.com