[Techtalk] [OT] Where can I find a Jr. Admin job?

Raven Alder damask0 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 7 09:52:59 EST 2001

Heya --

Quoth Kent:
> I've been working as a hardware tech/help desk person for the past
> year.  Basically I support (with part time help from a student) 150
or
> so networked computers and their users.  I've been using
Linux/OpenBSD
> for around 2.5 years.  I administer a Redhat play-pen server for
staff
> at work which sadly gets almost no use at all.

     So in other words, you are qualified for the junior admin job that
you want.  [grin]

> I have a degree in Psychology.  I have no desire for more formal
> education, it drives me crazy.  I study on my own after work.

     Fair warning -- many employers see an IT person with a degree, and
think about turning them into IT management.  In my experience, it's
really hard not to get cubbyholed into management if it's not what you
want but you're a senior tech person with a degree or two.  Even if
it's not in computers at all.  (I have BAs in Biology and Philosophy,
and almost everywhere sees my resume and goes, "Ah!  IT Manager!"
Several of my other friends report similar experiences.)

     This probably isn't anything that you'd have to worry about
immediately, but it may crop up down the road a bit.  On the other
hand, if you do want to go into management, having a degree will help
immensely.

> I would like to take the next step towards a Jr. Unix Admin job.  I
> work at a university and they have told me they would create a Jr.
> Admin position for me in June.  Now the job is on the rocks and
> *maybe* it will happen after Oct.  So I am getting frustrated.

     Universities and non-profits often (in the US) have this sort of
problem, because their budget is very evanescent.  Often funding and
grants don't come through, and they have to reneg on previously
announced positions.

> Trouble is, where does one find a Jr. Admin job?  I've looked around
> the net at monster.com, computerjobs.com and various papers though
the
> U.S. Most of the Admin jobs are Sr. Admin and they want 3 to 5 years
> experience.

     Yah.  That's because most folk I know fill their Junior Admin jobs
with their friends and acquaintances.  So, there are two routes you can
take.  Make friends with your local LUG, and see if any of their
companies have openings.  I got my first two junior
networking-chick/junior admin jobs because I had friends at those
companies that gave me heads-ups about the jobs.  That was after a good
couple of months of Web-searching.  Very frustrating to realize that so
much of getting your foot in the door is who you know.

     The other route you can take is to doll up your resume with the
sysadmin stuff you have done, and try for one of the mid-level admin
jobs.  That's harder, because you often won't have anyone to learn from
if you do get one of those jobs.  You're expected to already be the
Unix person.  Keep in mind that when companies say 3-5 years Unix
experience, many of them are willing to accept "maintained and adminned
servers in my own time" as well as "did it for a living".  If you can
come through on the skillset, that will go a long way.  There's usually
a technical interview to determine your approximate skill level before
they hire you, so they know what they're getting.  (You sometimes won't
get one if you're going to be the only Unix person there, though.
There's nobody that knows what to ask you.)

     Best of luck in your job search.

Cheers,
Raven

=====
"At times it would tear out whole chapters from books
 Or put roomfuls of pictures askew on their hooks."
 -- "The Doubtful Guest", Edward Gorey