[Techtalk] [OT] Where can I find a Jr. Admin job?

ktb ktb at nixnotes.org
Wed Jun 6 21:19:46 EST 2001

I've been working as a hardware tech/help desk person for the past year.
Basically I support (with part time help from a student) 150 or so
networked computers and their users.  I've been using Linux/OpenBSD for
around 2.5 years.  I administer a Redhat play-pen server for staff
at work which sadly gets almost no use at all.

I have a degree in Psychology.  I have no desire for more formal
education, it drives me crazy.  I study on my own after work.

Anyway 37 is just around the corner for me and I feel I have learned all
I need from my job and I don't have a lot of time to waste. I would like
to take the next step towards a Jr. Unix Admin job.  I work at a
university and they have told me they would create a Jr. Admin position
for me in June.  Now the job is on the rocks and *maybe* it will happen after
Oct.  So I am getting frustrated.

Trouble is, where does one find a Jr. Admin job?  I've looked around the
net at monster.com, computerjobs.com and various papers though the U.S.
Most of the Admin jobs are Sr. Admin and they want 3 to 5 years
experience.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks,
kent