[techtalk] cable modem?

Julie jockgrrl at austin.rr.com
Sun Jun 10 18:15:00 EST 2001

"Erica ." wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a novice with Linux, and I have searched all
> over and seem to have hit a wall. I can't seem to
> find instructions on how to hook up a cable modem
> for Linux (I'm using RH6.2, btw).

A cable modem is just like any other Ethernet
connection.  They'll give you a "cable modem" and
on the back side of it will be a 10BaseT connection.

Configure one of your NIC to 10Mb/s, full duplex
and set to use DHCP to acquire it's IP address.

The next thing you'll want to do is learn all about
ipchains because someone is going to be trying to
hack your machine in about 5 minutes ;-(

-- Julie.