[techtalk] More DNS Questions

John Elliott johne at trifidtech.ca
Wed Jan 24 16:56:51 EST 2001

A couple of things,

>From the Linux DNS HowTo:

"Two things must be noted about the SOA record. ns.linux.bogus must be a
actual machine with a A record. It is not legal to have a CNAME record for he
machine mentioned in the SOA record. "

Also:

CNAMES are used for aliases not with dotted IP's.

There is no problem with having multiple A records. It is often done to avoid
potential problems of the misue of CNAME records.

You may find this resource useful:

Common DNS Operational and Configuration Errors
http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/rfc/rfc1912.html#2.4 CNAME

Hope this helps.

John

TrifidTech Inc.          http://www.trifidtech.ca