[techtalk] More DNS Questions

Kath ranger at optonline.net
Wed Jan 24 16:50:46 EST 2001

Further ramblings:

Could it be something in my named.conf file?  Here is a copy of it, check
for any gross irregularities:

//Begin file here

//
// Please read /usr/share/doc/bind/README.Debian for information on the
// structure of BIND configuration files in Debian for BIND versions 8.2.1
// and later, *BEFORE* you customize this configuration file.
//

options {
        directory "/var/cache/bind";

        // If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
        // to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
        // directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
        // questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 and later use an
unprivileged
        // port by default.

        // query-source address * port 53;

        // If your ISP provided one or more IP addresses for stable
        // nameservers, you probably want to use them as forwarders.
        // Uncomment the following block, and insert the addresses replacing
        // the all-0's placeholder.

         forwarders {
                167.206.112.3; //my isp's servers
                167.206.112.4; //my isp's servers
         };
};

// reduce log verbosity on issues outside our control
logging {
        category lame-servers { null; };
        category cname { null; };
};

// prime the server with knowledge of the root servers
zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "/etc/bind/db.root";
};

// be authoritative for the localhost forward and reverse zones, and for
// broadcast zones as per RFC 1912

zone "localhost" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/db.local";
};

zone "127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/db.127";
};

zone "0.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/db.0";
};

zone "255.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/db.255";
};

// add entries for other zones below here

zone "kathweb.net" {
        type master;
        file "zone/kathweb.net";
};

// end file

Any ideas? :(

I think I will definetly be buying DNS and Bind by O'Reilly when I goto the
mall today.

- Kath