[techtalk] More DNS Questions

Kath ranger at optonline.net
Wed Jan 24 12:25:36 EST 2001

Talked to another person at OPN who said the As should be unique IPs and CNAMEs should be thingies that resolve to the same IP.

So, I fixed that.  This is how my zone file for kathweb.net looks now:

@      SOA     kathweb.net. root.kathweb.net. (       24.190.202.53

                        200101241       ; serial, todays date + todays serial #
                        8H              ; refresh, seconds
                        2H              ; retry, seconds
                        1W              ; expire, seconds
                        1D )            ; minimum, seconds
                NS      kathweb.net.
                NS      ns2.kathweb.net
                MX      10 kathweb.net.  ; Primary Mail Exchanger
                TXT     "Kathweb"

localhost       A       127.0.0.1

kathweb.net.    CNAME   24.190.202.53
ns1             CNAME   24.190.202.53