[techtalk] .biz, .info new domain news

Kathryn Hogg kjh at flyballdogs.com
Tue Jan 9 13:05:33 EST 2001

Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov said:
> Deb:  Do we have any SPAM blocking software for linuxchix.org?

My real question is if these spammers are actually subscribed to the list?
If not, then why is the list allowing posts from non-subscribers and if so,
I surely hope they've been blocked.

Spammers rarely send from real e-mail addresses which quite nicely prevents
them from abusing lists where posting is closed to all but subscribers.  In
all my years of running an e-mail list, I've only had a single piece of
mail spammed to my list (not that plenty of spammers don't try every single
day).  That one came from the dubious "themail.com" site where they get
unsuspecting dopes to use their "free email" service and then have them
autorespond  with spam.  My site no longer accepts e-mail from themail.com.

--
Kathryn Hogg