[techtalk] .biz, .info new domain news

Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov
Tue Jan 9 12:45:59 EST 2001

Hi, Conor, and everyone else<

> I kinda thought an "opt-in" email was one that you wouldn't get unless
you
> *asked* to receive it and certainly, should *not* require any action to
> avoid receiving more!
> </rant>

Nope.  Spammers think that because you are alive and breathing you have
opted in.  They use that line to make it appear that it isn't really SPAM,
and that if you complain to your ISP or theirs, that somehow you asked for
the message (or at least they believe you did) and therefore they haven't
violated any TOS.  I have gotten so many SPAM messages with that B.S. that
it isn't funny.

Deb:  Do we have any SPAM blocking software for linuxchix.org?

Best,
Caity

Caitlyn M. Martin             martin.caitlyn at epa.gov
Systems Analyst              (919) 541-4441
Lockheed Martin
(a contractor for the US EPA)