[techtalk] Woes :\

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Thu Jan 4 15:11:43 EST 2001

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 07:15:43AM -0500 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Kath thought:
> Suddenly, I can no longer receive email sent to kathweb.net.  In Outlook Express, I get the following error:
>
> "A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'kathweb.net', Server: 'kathweb.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19"
>
> Now I have checked, via a portscan, and found that port 110 is open.  I can login to the box via ssh and type "mail" and see the mail waiting for me.  I haven't installed any new software or anything similar.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> - Kath
You could try a telnet to port 110 of kathweb.net and see what you get
there.  You could have a look at the logs on kathweb also and see if you
get anything there.  Maybe try increasing the relevant log level for the
pop server and try a few times while tailing the log.  Unfortunately, I'm
not sure how to do these things myself but I'm sure they can be done.

Domestic Sysadmin :-)