[techtalk] Re: Web-based e-mail for Linux?

Barbara Schelkle schelkle at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Wed Feb 28 22:27:59 EST 2001

Hi,

> I'm finally going to put together a mail server.  I'm used to using
> IMAP4/POP3 and Web-based e-mail from my current provider, so I would like to
> build a mail server that has the same functionality. Does anyone have
> suggestions on what software packages I could use to accomplish this, and

You have a lot of options here.

what you need is basically this:

1. smtp server, choose one of the list:
	http://www.qmail.org
	http://www.exim.org
	http://www.postfix.org
	http://www.sendmail.org
2. imap server, choose between:
	http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus
	http://www.inter7.com/courierimap/
3. webmail interface to the imapserver, there are more than these:
	http://www.horde.org/imp/
	http://webmail.omnis.ch/omail.pl?action=about
	http://www.inter7.com/sqwebmail/

If you will have a lot of users, I strongly recommend LDAP.

best, Barbara